No visit to Edinburgh would be complete without a wee dram. Whisky is Scotland’s national drink and can be sampled at any pub or bar in town. But, if you want to learn more about the amber nectar, there are lots of whisky tours and tastings on offer.
The Scotch Whisky Experience on the Royal Mile is a great place to start. This top tourist attraction offers daily tours and tastings, a barrel ride through a virtual distillery, and is home to the largest collection of Scotch Whisky in the world!
Whisky Tastings in Edinburgh
Attending an expert tasting will give you some tips and techniques on how to fully appreciate this great Scottish tipple. Below are some of the many tastings available to book in the city.
- Scotch Whisky Experience Masterclass
- Jeffrey Street Malt Whisky Tasting
- Megget’s Cellar Single Malt Whisky Tasting
Whisky Distilleries near Edinburgh
Edinburgh was once home to a great many distilleries, but today you have to travel out of the city to visit a real working distillery. The closest distilleries open to the public are listed here. However, there are several new distilleries opening in 2018. So, watch this space!
- Glenkinchie Distillery, East Lothian (16 miles)
- Tullibardine Distillery, Perthshire (51 miles)
- The Famous Grouse Experience, Perthshire (61 miles)
- Blair Athol Distillery, Perthshire (69 miles)
- Edradour Distillery, Perthshire (70 miles)
- Dewar’s World, Perthshire (74 miles)
Whisky Tours, Day Trips and Mini Breaks from Edinburgh
There are many organised day trips and mini breaks departing from Edinburgh, where you can combine some sightseeing and spectacular scenery with tours of distilleries.
- Whisky Tasting Day Trip (1 day)
- Whisky and Waterfalls Day Trip (1 day)
- Loch Ness, Highlands and Whisky Tour (1 day)
- Lochs, Stirling Castle and Whisky Day Trip (1 day)
- Speyside Whisky Tour (3 days)
Remember this fine drink should be savoured and enjoyed, so drink responsibly. Sláinte (Cheers)!